Montgomery began as a trading post about a mile north of its present
site. Colonists, which included Stephen F. Austin and Owen and
Margaret Montgomery Shannon, settled here on a land grant and did
trading with the local indians. Lots were advertised for sale in
1837 for the newly formed town, which touted it as the new center
for a new county. Montgomery was the county seat until only 1889
when it was moved to Conroe. The first school opened here in 1839.
The city was incorporated in 1848. Many beautiful homes were built
during the 1850's. Many are still used and occupied even today.
By 1900 many business had come into town. The town prospered, but
when the county seat was moved to Conroe, much business went with
it. Today Montgomery has retained its small, hometown feel. It
is a quiet place with a great deal of history. Home tours are held
by the Montogmery Historical Society. The Society may be reached
at P.O. Box 513, Montogomery TX 77356
The founding of Montgomery: 1837
Lake Conroe is on the west fork of the San Jacinto River. It was
built as a joint project of the City of Houston, the Texas Water
Development Board, and the San Jacinto River Authority in 1973
as an alternate water source for the City of Houston.
The lake has over 22,000 acres of surface water, is 26 miles long
and 6 miles wide at the widest point. The average depth of the
lake is 20 feet deep; the deepest spot is 70 feet in the river
channel. There are 157 miles of shoreline along Lake Conroe.
The lake is bordered on the north by Sam Houston National Forest,
which provides an abundance of wildlife such as deer, several species
of birds, even alligators. The lake has some of the best fishing
around with species such as blue, channel and flathead catfish;
striped, white and large-mouth bass; crappie and smallmouth buffalo.